Tuesday, June 23, 2009

My Up River Cruise 6-20 June 2009

6 June 2009: Saturday-Scappoose Moorage



My plans are loose; get some work done, cruise up river and visit some places that I haven’t been. Let each day evolve and enjoy it no matter what comes my way. Be in the moment. This time of year the currents get stronger as more water is released from the Bonneville dam which can make for some speed and docking problems. It also allows you to get into places that traditionally have low water levels.

This afternoon upon arriving at Shatoosh I immediately dive into my electrical projects. I installed my new LED dome light in the cockpit. It has a white light for cabin use and a red one for navigation. I took out my old navigation light, as it always reflected light into my window, thereby distorting my vision. I then removed my light in the head and replaced it with my old cockpit dome light. Wow, what a difference. I can actually see in the head now. I’ve been replacing many of my lights in my condo and when you put in good lighting it is amazing how well you can see. Bringing the light into my life; there is nothing wrong with that.

I looked into the cabin lights which aren’t that great, but I am having trouble taking the light bulbs out, so will have to investigate tomorrow. I had hopes of going into Portland to a LED marine store to see if I could switch them out. I always feel good when my electrical projects get done, as electricity is a weak subject for me.

Thanks Larry, Skipper of the Starship, for showing me your LED lights last year. It has inspired me to change some lighting out. I’m waiting for darkness to fall so I can check out the nav light on my chart.

I have brought my computer to Shatoosh for the first time and will be pre-typing my blog as the days emerge. I hope to be onboard for 2 weeks. I have a small transformer that I can use to power up my laptop, when cruising, but while I am dockside, I’m plugged into 110v. I just checked to see if there were any Wi-Fi spots and there is one on f dock but it is secured. It will be interesting to see what shows up while cruising. I can get my emails from my cell phone which is really amazing to me.








Well, its dark so am signing off and scampering out to the cockpit to see my new lights.