Monday, June 22, 2009

A Down River Surprise on My Up River Cruise

Tall Ships Become Icing on my Cruising Cake

Hawaiian Chieftain

1330 hrs. My road trip home.

I’m always reluctant to leave Shatoosh and return home, but I was anticipating getting to see The Lady Washington and the Hawaiian Chieftain as they were possibly in the small river town of Rainier this weekend. I had seen the Hawaiian Chieftain on the San Joaquin River in California many years ago and have seen the Lady Washington numerous times in Washington, but never close up. As I enter the town of Rainier in my trusty Rav 4, they are tied to the docks. A vision to behold, as I glance at all the lines, the character of the ships , the antiquity of the scene and the crew dressed in period costumes. I’m not sure why this event was not publicized more. I would have certainly cruised down to be a part of it. I find I have just missed the tours of the vessels and they are getting ready to embark on a 3 hour cruise with canon ball fights. I see a squall line coming up river, so decide to pass on this opportunity as I don’t have a jacket with me.


























Lady Washington












































The maze of rigging. Each line has a function and each crewman must know what to pull and when to pull a line.





This is such a wonderful opportunity for our youth to learn these ancient skills of seamanship.












A couple of crewmen begin to unfurl some sails.













Go to http://www.ladywashington.org/ to see her sailing schedule. You can visit her onboard, go for a sail, or book passage for a day or overnight sailing. September 15-17, 2009 looks really inviting to me: Port Townsend to Westport Wa.