Monday, August 29, 2011

Legoe Bay to Inati Bay

28 Aug 11 Sunday

I had a very rolly night on the buoy and at 0600 hrs we are shrouded in total fog. I can't see the dinghy on the next buoy. By 0830 hrs the fog has lifted enough for me to take off. I'm headed south to round Carter Point on the south side and explore 3 of the small bays that are good anchorages. I pass Lummi Rocks, while in light fog. My radar is working well and I have about a quarter of a mile of visibility. The depths along the shore are well into 40 fathoms so I move in closer to see the high cliffs. At Carter Point there is an immature eagle sitting on the rock shoreline. While still young, he looks very large and stately.

Carter Pt. South Lummi

Fish Buying Boat Returning to Legoe Bay

The first bay which is a DNR site has a small boat anchored with 2 lines to shore. There is suppose to be a buoy here but I don't see it. The second one is Reil Bay and is an exposed small bight and it doesn't look good to me, so I head farther north to Inati Bay and this one is a beauty with about 5 boats anchored. I swing by a large sailboat and they say they are leaving so I can anchor near them. I set the bow anchor easily. I get in Pashmina, which I have towed this morning, to put out a stern anchor to keep me from swinging. Several of the boats depart and at noon a lady hails me from her kayak. She is anchored here in her Columbia 26 and wanted to meet a fellow woman boater. I invite her aboard and fix some coffee for us and we have a nice chat. I get back in Pashmina and clean the waterline and reset my stern anchor as it seems to have lost its set. It is so beautiful and peaceful here. Another sailboat comes in with a portaboat, as a dinghy. This is my 3rd portaboat to see on this trip.

Anchored Inati Bay
Bow and Stern Anchors

Fog rolls in.

My Lummi blog readers show up late afternoon and we raft up together and have another delightful time, sharing stories, munching on chips and dip. I am so happy that I came up here to meet them. They are both easy to be with. As I cruise around, we might hook up again. I invite FBR to join me for an over nighter, if she would like.

More boats come and go and it seems by sunset there are 4 of us anchored. I am awakened at 1100 hours with south east winds and strong gusts. My WYC burgee is a good wind alert as she bangs on the bow pulpit and it always wakes me up. I better get up to check my position. My stern anchor has dragged and I am swinging over to the trawler which was on my port. This does not look good. I check my bow anchor and it seems to be holding well. The Albins tend to swing alot at anchor when there is the least amount of wind. Having the stern anchor really stabilizes the boat. This is important in a crowded small anchorage. I return to deal with the stern anchor and decide to pull it in and I discover there is a huge kelp tangled into the flukes along with lots of mud and rocks. I set it on the aft deck and secure it to the cleat. Then go below and wash both hands. Oh! the joys of cruising. I return to the helms seat and hang out watching my position, taking note of the wind gusts, keeping my flashlight in my hand and put some socks on, as my feet are cold. I just have to make certain that my anchor is holding. I really don't want to have to reset it in the dark.

Day's run: 10nm
Total: 126nm