Saturday, July 14, 2012

AIS monitoring

I have posted an AIS(Automatic Information System) link at the bottom of this blog. I had been in the habit of checking this when I was on the Columbia River and Pacific Ocean last summer. Since I became aware of the tug the other night I thought I should take a peek from time to time to monitor traffic in the local area. You can go to your local area and see traffic.

When you see a vessel just click on it and you will get a photo of the ship and all of it's details. It shows the course, its track where it is coming from and its destination.
AIS: www.marinetraffic.com

For example: The tug Vulcan is approaching Hope Island 2219 hrs, from Olympia. This was his course the other night by Hope Island when he rocked us crazy. Tonight he is traveling at 1.9 k.