Thursday, May 28, 2009

Scappoose Moorage to Martin Slough



21 May 2009, Thursday:


The whole morning is spent getting ice and groceries and getting everything stowed. I eat lunch at Fred Meyer while I was there. I run the engine briefly to warm up the oil and make certain the transmission is in order, then check the oil and coolant levels, the water pump and the alternator belt is ok. The batteries have enough water in them. The engine looks as though it was just installed. I place the traveling docks lines on and back out of the slip around 1300 hrs.



The sun is shining, but there is a n-nw wind blowing, so I know the Columbia River will be rough. I arrive at St. Helen's and the river is chaotic, waves are going every direction. I have never liked this place. I just tolerate it. I hug that Oregon shore and get out of some of the wind and wave lines. I see my Martin Bluff in the distance and veer out on the river to make my crossing and the full force of the wind and waves makes me stand at the helm to steer. I time my turn to starboard at Martin Bluff to coincide with the wave patterns and find a quiet segment to turn.



The high water line is significant and I pass the rocky point to port which is completely underwater. Now I have the wind and waves on my stern, I slow Shatoosh to 5 knots and head straight for my osprey nests. The owners of Martin island have done some major cutting of brush, Burke island has really been cleared. The narrow entrance to the lagoon is now expansive and the water level almost up to the top of the dikes. I have 14 feet of water under the keel. I usually go through with 7 feet. there is sailboat and powerboat anchored. This weekend there are 4 yacht clubs scheduled to be here.(I'm told later that 70 boats were in here). I tie up to the dock and have the place to myself. I can see they have cleared all my favorite blackberry bushes, left the perimeter ones intact. I'd hate not getting berries in the fall.



I was told that the 90 year old matriarch stated her family is ranching the island, and she refuses to let the government take her property by immanent domain just so they can fill the lagoon and her island with dredgings. She won her case and the government will use Cottonwood Island instead, which they apparently already own. They have increased their cattle population and I see lots of new calves this year. They are so cute as they come down to water, bucking and jumping around.















Just as the little calves had their play time, I see a new animal on the island. A coyote immerges from the trail. It appears he has been following the little ones. He by-passes the Great Blue Heron and the mallards but stands and watches the calves for a long time. He then leaves going toward the north end of the island.




I notice the owner of the sailboat anchored in the lagoon is an older lady who is singlehanding. Too bad I can't talk with her, but her hailing port is Rocky Point. Perhaps one day I will meet her.




I'm happy to be on the water and onboard Shatoosh. Another great time to be had, I wonder what the days will bring.