Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Martin Slough to Scappoose Moorage Via Gravel Slough


26 May 2009 Tuesday

I have a long way to go today, so I don't waste much time departing Martin Slough. A couple of sailboats are still anchored, their crews asleep, so I slip quietly out at 0740 hrs. The tide is reached full flood, causing our docks to be isolated from the island and has filled the outer meadow, where the coyote was stalking the little calves.




My little reminder that my antenna is up, alerts me to place it in the lower position so when I dock into my covered slip, I don't break my VHF antenna off. I have seen this happen many times.


Alas, after days of a north-northwest wind the Columbia River is calm, but I'm going to be slogging against the current and the ebbing tide, at least I won't have the wind on my tail making me rock and roll home. I resort to my longtime strategy of hugging close to the Oregon shore in hopes of catching some gain on that current and my experience pays off, I can stay over 5 knots, which is always my goal. Its humiliating to drop under 5 knots. Then it really becomes a "Slow Boat to China". St Helens is calm and flat as a pancake, which is very unusual, as it is always like a washing machine. I see my mechanics on their work dock and swing by to say hi.

I slip into the Multnomah Channel and gain some more speed. Up River, I decide to explore what I call Gravel Slough. It is not mentioned on the chart, just a slight indentation, but this is where the big tugs haul gravel out of some pits. I've always wanted to go explore it, but the thought of running on to tugs and barges in a narrow waterway makes me cautious. I figure that after a long weekend, there might not be much action. I do remember there is a run in the am sometime and then one at night. With the high water levels it would be a good time to take a peek. I have 20 feet of water under me and the Glacier Gravel Pit is one mile upriver. I see the loaded barge and a tug tied to the dock in the background. The barge is angled across the slough blocking me from going any farther. The tug is probably getting ready to take this load upriver. They go into the Willamette River and unload it. The Indian name of Scappoose means gravel, so this area has been known for gravel for some time. I turn about and am back on the Multnomah in 5 minutes.





























As I pass Coon Island there are a few fisherman anchored and the current is ripping through really fast. I continue my journey upstream and love docking Shatoosh into my slip with my new finger pier. I arrive at 1140, making my trip in 4 hours...5k/hr.-just as planned. I got lots done to Shatoosh and she is shipshape for the cruising season. We are off to a great start. Total nm 80.

Anyone interested in cruising with me, please let me know. My summer will be open to as much cruising as I can fit in.