Monday, January 16, 2012

My Big World Gets Smaller

Kristi and Al live aboard their wooden Monk designed, MV Viking Star, and are spending the winter in Friday Harbor, San Juan Island. I check into their wonderful blog http://mvvikingstar.blogspot.com regularly since meeting them this summer. This was Kristi's post the other day, which shows the boating world with blogging and boat forums, that we are just one big boating family. It is so nice to be able to read other boating blogs, which I routinely encourage new blogs to be written by my fellow Albin owners, but I am always surprised to read about me and my boats. Thanks Kristi and its great you and Al are enjoying Friday Harbor so much this winter.

"Saturday, January 14, 2012


It's a Small World!

Last summer we introduced ourselves to Hira by knocking on her boat Shatoosh and announcing 'We follow your blog!"  She invited us aboard and she told us stories of her FBR's as she calls them -- Faceless Blog Readers.

We suspect that we have a few too -- people who check out our blog, occasionally OR regularly, without going through the rigamarole of signing up to be an official Follower.

Well, today, we had OUR first knock on the boat with the words, 'I found your blog!'  It was Amy and her dog out for a morning walk.  She had seen our boat name, and looked us up.  I turned to Al and said 'I'll have to let Hira know we have our first FBR's!'  Amy didn't recognize when I said that we followed 'The Adventures of Shatoosh and Pashmina'.  http://shatooshandpashmina.blogspot.com

She and her husband had brought their  boat over last night to see 'The Muppets', held over at the Palace Movie Theater here in Friday Harbor.  They live on Orcas Island, on the other side of Mt. Constitution.  Turns out, their boat is an Albin, just the kind that Hira skippers.  She told us that they meet at Roche Harbor the second weekend in September, and we said that Shatoosh had been there last summer!  She asked again what Hira's name was, and then said 'Well, I know Hira!'"
_____________

Speaking of interesting blogs, 2 tandem Albin 27's are cruising in Florida and have crossed the state via Lake Okeechobee and will be heading south along the west coast of Florida to the Keys. They have had their fair share of troubleshooting problems. See my link below to Carol and Jim's blog: Always an Adventure..In Slow Motion.