Saturday, August 30, 2008

Napa River Anchoring

1 March 2000
Anchoring on the Napa River

An amazing thing happened yesterday. The sun was shinning! I jumped on Shatoosh went upriver and docked at my funky Moore's Landing for lunch and then headed up river a bit to try my hand at anchoring for the first time by myself. I have been eying this beautiful nitch in the river for sometime, looking at it at different tide levels to see the terrain. So yesterday was the perfect day. The tide was flowing out and there was a slight breeze against the ebbing tide. The breeze and the tide held me gently in a good position so I went forward in the cabin and opened the hatch and I found I could drop the anchor from there and if need be, I could run back to the helm which I didn't have to. I tied her off and went back to set the anchor and presto I was alongside the bank with some Eucalyptus trees along with vineyards filled with golden mustard and the hills so green that it would make your eyes hurt. It was gorgeous and with the sun shining I thought I'd gone to heaven. On the opposite side of the river is a large marsh area without any human habitation. I shut the engine off after making certain I was going to stay put. I opened the sliding windows and sat to listen and wait for the birds to respond. Ah!, there is something wonderful about spring. Soon the little songs began to sound and none that I recognized except the kingfisher. I had hoped to see him ,as I have seen him here before, as I passed up and down the river. I realize how important it is to stop and listen and look. Otherwise, as we hurry going here and there, we miss alot. Shatoosh doesn't go fast anyway but it is good to be on her without the sound of the engine going putt-putt.


The other day I had noticed some birds I had never seen before and I was certain I was seeing them again. As they got closer I could see them hovering in flight and soaring in large groups. Later one came down and sat closely to the river's edge on a bare tree top. The book says it is a white tailed kite. I have never seen one before and they are said to be rare, but today there must be 100 flying over this marshy hillside. This day, in this moment I feel good, as some healing is taking place within me and change is present. I am grateful to have anchored in this special spot the first day of March in the Napa River in the year 2000. I know that I want to return often to anchor here and spend the night.


Upon returning to the marina, my friends John and Sandra meet me and John sees my dirty anchor and says," you've been wanting to practice, how did it go?" His usual comment is we need to get you set up with a good bow anchor roller and leaves to go get several types to try. He must have extras of everything. He picks a rather large, but interesting one that he made and states that we will get it put on. He also has a piece of wood and stainless steel backing plates that we can use. I insist that I pay for these things and his usual comment is we can talk about it later.


Again, my heart is filled with gratitude for all the wonderful people in my life who assist me in so many ways and my new little friend Shatoosh. 1 Mar 2000 was a very good day.