Friday, August 21, 2009

A Stitch In Time

A stitch in time. That is how long it has taken me to sew these curtains. 9 years in the making, but last night I finished sewing the main cabin curtains. After I wrote on the blog I wasn't tired any more so sat up until 2200 hrs sewing to my heart's content. Now, when I slide the curtains open and closed I will not get my fingers pricked by the numerous pins I placed so carefully all these years ago. After arriving at Walker Island and getting tied up I decided to take a leap and take the left over curtain material and make a fitted cover for the cushion in the aft cabin. In the previous photos I have just draped it to cover it. So off and on I worked on it and presto I have a cushion cover that can be removed for washing. Next, will be the aft cabins curtains.

Let me return to my morning at Martin Slough. I walked ashore early with my coffee to check all the blackberries. The island owners had mowed must of them down, but the bushes along the shoreline were getting ripe. I went back to Shatoosh and got my bucket and filled it to the brim. I spoke with the boaters on the dock and they were also thinking of going to Walker Island. I departed 1020 hrs and stopped by to see if my osprey mother who had given birth to 3 babies was still around. All 3 young ones had fledged but were still hanging out on top of the nest and mother was on the next piling. It is amazing she was able to keep 3 alive. She must be a very good mother.

I pull into Kalama and pump out the head, I am there 10 minutes and head over to Goble and much to my surprise they have new docks. Wow. What a change. I pick up my block ice and am on my way in 10 minutes. I move out into the channel to pick up as much speed as I can and travel comfortably in flat water 8-9 knots. I slide quietly under the Lewis and Clarke Bridge and there are 3 ships anchored waiting to get loading time at the docks. 2 are under Panamanian registration. The 3rd ship, Rubin Pearl, is from Port Vila. This is the 4th ship from Port Vila that I have seen on the Columbia. As I cruised past the starboard side, several of the crew were standing on deck and they all waved at me, so I returned the wave. This has never happened before, but it is a pleasant surprise.

I arrive at Walker Island at 1330 and the couple I had met at Martin Slough was already docked and waiting to take my lines. The wind is picking up as other boats begin to come in. By late afternoon there are 8 vessels tied to the docks and the little Bayliner and I are blanketed by all the big boats. I am familiar with several of the boats from previous trips and several are from Scappoose. We have a nice time and after dinner 2 large boats bring out a fire pit fueled by a propane tank with ceramic logs. Everyone is invited to toasting marshmallows and listening to guitar playing. I leave and can hear the songs and music drifting down with the wind as it whistles by Shatoosh and heads into the next cove.
While overcast all day, it has been a delightful day visiting with old and new friends. We all head to the warm cabins of our beloved boats, knowing that today was great and tomorrow offers more new adventures.