Friday, August 14, 2009

Another Bonanza Day

I drive into West Marine Portland and get my paint supplies. I ask the guy about my spare oarlock part that went into the drink last month. He thought it might be a special order, as my zodiac isn't made anymore and while I have a drawing of my part it doesn't have any part number. I find a similar looking part in the book and the guy comes back with a bag full of spare parts. Inside is my part. How lucky is that? I ask how much it is to tell the cashier and he said, "free". "Free I reply, how so?" "It is a bag full of unkown parts"he replies. I notice there is another one in the bag. He states I can have that one as well.
Wow, West Marine has finally come through for me and without charge. I'm going to stop complaining about them.

I'm working on some other projects to kill time waiting for paint to dry. I had to take off the galley plate rack. It has an old dark brown stain that I have never cared for. It was the same stain on the magazine rack. I sanded it off and replaced it with cetol. I'm not certain how it will turn out, but if it is not good, I'll bring it home and buy some good wood and remake the whole thing.
When I was at the condo I realized that in all these years, Pashmina's name is not on the dinghy. How could I have missed blessing her with that sacred rite of passage. I bought some stick on letters that are gold colored but in the sun I can see they aren't all from the same batch.
No matter how careful I am, measuring each one and the length, I did not get them straight or centered. Ugh. I'd never make a carpenter.


The painting goes well, however the cream is not as cream as I would like to have. I have one coat on in the main cabin. It is looking so much better without the splattered grey, blue and white that came with the Albin. I painted the cockpit so many years ago, I'm surprised that I have not gotten to it until now. I've just been too busy cruising. I slept in the aft cabin last night for the first time. I really slept well and it was very comfy and I look forward to tonight's deep slumber. I sleep well every night, What a blessing that is.

Tomorrow I journey to Astoria to look at a 30ft Fisher pilothouse sailboat. One has to do something while the paint drys. I'll explain more about "Stormy" tomorrow.