Sunday, August 16, 2009

Blubber and Boats in Astoria


My first stop yesterday was the East basin where you get to see lots of fat sea lions. They were really barking up
quite a conversation, shoving each other, knocking one another off the float, and then there were others who just wanted to sleep through the whole commotion. I forget just how immense these animals are.

The salmon season is in, so there were a zillion fishermen. Boats going in all different directions and the seas were calm without any wind.


After seeing Stormy I walked the docks in the West Mooring Basin and saw some interesting boats. The first one is a Williard Vega 30. These are very nice trawlers but this one is converted to troller. I had looked at one in the Delta, but didn't like that there were no side doors to dock from.
I don't know the make of this one, but she caught my eye. A nice little center pilot house. Interesting! it must be european or british made.






A beautiful Nauti-Cat built in Finland.
The owner let me go aboard and I have always loved these. Beautifully built and a wonderful pilot house with exits on both sides. A large stateroom aft and head, galley and forecabin. Out of my price range, but this I could live on and be very happy.
Making lots of progress painting today and have finished the cabin and re stowing all my things. I need to do the hatch cover, put on the second coat in the head area and then will start prepping the aft cabin. Might as well get it all done. I'm loving sleeping in the aft cabin. It is so cozy.