Tuesday, June 29, 2010

blog readers reply

29 June 2010 Tuesday

I'm still on Shatoosh, savoring every last minute I can muster. Last minute tweeking of a photo here and there. Some dieheart blog readers are reading as fast as I can post the events.  Thank you all for your support and I am pleased you are enjoying our trip
~~~~~~
I hear from Too Tall that he is safe back home in California-"Very good job. A lot of work. A lot of detail. A lot of color. Sounds like the weather, in places, was not for Skol. I am almost recovered. In my Ford, I search the dash board for an indicator of depth and a safe place to park." Oh, Too Tall, you make me laugh so much.
~~~~~~
Hira: Thanks for your great blog! I have followed your trip enviously-- though I do not long to go 14.3 kts in Ms. Betttencourt. John in Augusta A25 #1117
~~~~~~
Thanks so much for sending the blog of your trip down the Snake & Columbia Rivers. I enjoyed reading your comments and the pictures are fantastic. What a neat adventure! Dave 1970 A-25 Ticaboo, Series 2 #575.
~~~~~~
Constance in Colorado:"Wow!!Thank you a zillion times for sharing...I learned so much!!Awe-struck actually. Your good natured blog w/photos did speak to your captain qualities.
~~~~~~
Jill Koch of Beamers Jetboat Tours in Clarkston Wa. "You are an inspiraton to me Hira...I look forward with enthusiasum to the time our paths meet again."
~~~~~~
Nan McGhee commented on your photo album:(Facebook page where all the photos are posted.)
Nan is one of my Scottish cousins.
"Hira ........... didn't Boyd Gilmour live near the Columbia River about 1850? Called one of his sons after it? Looks like a great trip........."
Hira repsonds:Yes Nan, Allan Columbia Gilmour was born on the mouth of the columbia as their ship ran aground in 1850. Mrs. Gilmour was pregnant when they left Scotland/London; they rounded the Horn then sailed to the Sandwich Islands(Hawaii), then to the Columbia River. A voyage lasting > 6 months. As they cruised up the river to Ft Vancouver, Mrs Gilmour's niece-in- law Mrs. Dunsmuir delivered a child, as well. I do not know how they did it. Running aground on the Columbia bar is more than enough to take but then having to deliver a child to boot, is just tooooo  much.
~~~~~
Larry Hirtzel: Fantastic photos Hira!!! Thanks for sharing. I'm a slow reader, but just finished reading your blog about the recent trip for the third time. Great stories and pictures. Just like being there without the wind, waves, and kidney thumping ride. So cool that you checked out all the duck-in places, too. Puget Sound, American and Canadian San Juans and points North will be a piece of cake. You stared the elephant in the eye and the elephant---Blinked.
~~~~~~
Patti Sparks Irvin commented on your photo album
"I've been thinking about you and your trip. Love the photos."
~~~~~~
Hells Canyon Visitor Bureau: "It's nice to hear you had a successful cruise - and that you enjoyed The Snake River. Please do let us know when you return our way - we look forward to it!"
~~~~~~
From Dan on Whiskyjack:
 "Great job on the blog. You write with an easy-to-read style, enough detail to keep the reader engaged and wanting more but no so much detail that one gets bored. The overtones of the trip make me think that this was somewhat of a slog. It definitely was not the idyllic, gentle, “glide into the sunset.” I know from experience that the short, steep, confused wind waves, the kind 1formed when the wind blows against the current can be real drudgery. They can also make you tired ‘cause you can never fully relax. You have to be always ready for Mr. Wave’s next punch. However, for a Texas cowgirl, this should be a piece of cake, as it is not unlike the constant motion of riding a horse, don’t you think?"
Hira responds: horse???, more like the brahma bull.
~~~~~~
Carol Warren in Florida writes:

Hira,
So sad to hear the cruise is over....I have enjoyed following along. The photos are beautiful. I like all the detail you give. Guess I need to work on mine[blog] a bit more. So where are you off to now?
Carol & Jim
A 27 Slow Motion
~~~~~~
Carol Bee, Bellingham, Wa...a recent new crew member:
Bravo, Hira! My goodness, what a nerve-wracking, exhausting, beautiful, heroic journey you made! I finished reading the blog just a couple days ago and was mightily impressed again with your writing, the photos, the challenges and your determination to meet them, your technological and nautical prowess, and all the preparation and planning that I know went into creating your success. Having had a tiny taste of being crew on Shatoosh, I have to hand it to Ann too, who obviously endured some rough spots but was so dedicated and finally triumphed in getting the lines right in your last locks! Also really liked your long list of gratitudes--so many wonderful beings, seen and unseen, who helped smooth and enliven your way. Too Tall sounded like a terrific guy--hope I get to meet him someday. I'm sure it was a hard day when he decided to leave, but he was wise to know his limits and not get into trouble by trying to push on.
~~~~~~
Bambi from San Antonio says: I haven't told you how much I enjoyed going down the Snake river with you. Your narrative and pictures makes me feel like I'm right there on the boat with you. You did good.
~~~~~~