Saturday, June 22, 2013

Blind Bay State Park and Whale Watching

I left Jones Island because I had bad cell coverage, so Blind Bay has 4 bars on my Cell Coverage. I catch up on calls and emails and I am getting lots of Pashmina time here. I have rowed to the store on Shaw for ice cream, circum-rowed Blind Island and today I crossed the channel( 30 minute row) to Orcas Ferry landing to go on the Ocras Express for whale watching with Captain Dan.






















These were Transient Pods L-pod. Mother and last year's calf L-119.
We encountered them off of San Juan Island in the Strait of Juan de Fuca. The weather was perfect, sun, slight wind and seas. We saw numerous Eagles and nests with chicks, Harbor seals with new pups hauled out on small rock outcroppings near Cattle Pass and a large flock of Harlequin ducks in the same area.
What a day!