Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Windy Weather Continues

1 July 2009: Wednesday

The wind is whistling through the tops of the cottonwood trees and several cats paws are causing me to bump and grind against the dock. The river must be terrible today, but I'm nestled down in the lagoon acting happy as a clam.

My wood work project has now expanded to the aft and main cabin doors. They are looking better already. With the cottonwoods blowing their fuzz around it has been a challenge to keep it off the newly varnished surfaces. I haven't been very good at winning this war, so I will just have to lightly sand tomorrow.

I'm pleased with my flip down inspection hatch
cover lid double dutying as a convenient place to put my painting supplies. It keeps things tidy and organized.
Last night at dark an old Erickson 39 came into the dock. They were heading for Desolation Sound and his wife only had a week vacation. That's a rather ambitious endeavor. They left at 0630 this morning.
The day heated up quite a bit, but the sun is now down and cooling off. I had a wonderful shower on the aft cabin before I cooked dinner. Showers on board seem so much more satisfying than at my condo. Actually everything is better onboard.
I noticed a beautiful large dragonfly come onboard this morning. He/She stayed all day. As the sun went down behind the cottonwoods, my thoughts turned to his whereabouts. I looked down and he was atop the vhf radio next to my right leg. I didn't know if he was alive, so studied him closely. He seemed stressed, so I gave him a short Reiki treatment and lifted him gently and off he flew out the window. A few minutes later he zoomed past the cockpit window.
Martin slough not only has a growing herd of of angus cattle, it has 6 very healthy horses. Last night about dark they all came running through the meadow. It was such a beautiful sight..free range horses.
Today has been a very wonderful and productive day. I feel good about tending to some of Shatoosh's woodwork. While I refer at times to tending to the teak in actuality all the interior wood is sapele which is a teak looking wood but has stripes in it. I'm not certain about it. I should look it up and find out more about it, as it is unusual.