Friday, July 3, 2009

Shatoosh Meets WhiskyJack

3 July 2009: Friday

A calm, windless, clear morning greets me. "Oh my", I say to myself when I step out into the cockpit and see my aft cabin doors. They are beginning to look really nice. One more coat will do it.



















After breakfast I go ashore and look around and see this cow I have watched all week. She looks very pregnant and milk is accumulating in her utter. I say good morning to her and she walks towards me, sniffs my hand and I scratch her face. She continues to eat the small blades of new grass. Under the tree is a small hand made bird feeder that has partially fallen apart. I fix it and prop it on the fallen log. Carved on the top reads, "For The Birds"













On my downriver leg I noticed some quiet places that might be worth anchoring. I waited until 1130 hrs for the tide to turn and headed up river which was putting the slight wind and flooding tide on my stern and hopefully a boost up river. I checked out 3 areas near Goat Island and decided on this calm stretch of beach near channel marker 72. I anchored between 2 wing dams in 15 feet of water. In my call with Jean this morning she said I should explain what wing dams are as many readers of the blog are not familiar with this term. A wing dam is a series of short pilings placed between shore and a channel marker or other navigational aid. It forces the water out to the channel which helps in clearing it. Often these are submerged with high water or flooding tides. One should never attempt to go between a navigational aid and the shore otherwise you might find yourself on top of a wing dam. I stayed an hour to eat lunch and watched numerous fish jump. They were mostly large carp and one sturgeon. All about 2 feet in length.


I weighed anchor and headed out of the cove and looked up to see Whiskyjack coming down river and directly across the river. Dan had told me that we might pass at some point. I hailed him on channel 16 and then switched over to 68. I said,"slow down, I'm across the river from you." He replied and I could see him slowing and turning back up river. Whiskyjack is such a great boat. I pull along side and we talk for a few minutes and I meet his wife, Karen. She took the helm and Dan hoisted sail. Wow, I get to see her sail. The winds were light, but off she took and looks really sweet under sail. I stayed with them and took about 15 photos which I will share with them. Karen really was great at the helm, while Dan stayed in the cockpit trimming the sheets.

I stopped at the St Helens fuel dock to get some water and was off in minutes. All the docks were filled with boats, canoes, tents and people. Glad I am heading up river. It is after 1500 and the heat is coming on. All my favorite spots at Coon island are taken, so I continue on to the end and see Mel and Carol on Viajero from my marina. I pull in behind them and have a wonderful chat. I haven't seen them in 2 years and now I see them twice in a week. Lots of big, fancy boats pull in and we help them dock. Now all the big boat people have headsets on so the captain can speak with his crew members below. No one is yelling at each other anymore. Isn't technology wonderful?


This has been a wonderful day, a new anchorage under my belt, meeting new boaters and seeing old friends and a special treat was seeing Whiskyjack under sail. Wow, it doesn't get any better.

Oh yes, we watched a deer bring her young twin fawns down to shore for an evening drink of water and watched the otters play on shore across the way.


Everyone have a happy 4th of July.