Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Waiting For the Tide: Launch Day

28 July 2009: Tuesday
It is a hot day today, but I am in the shade and have my 110v fan on. The guys are working and sweating in their white coveralls. I am waiting for the tide to turn to flood and it is slowly coming in. When there is enough water we will launch Shatoosh and then I can use the flood tide to get upriver some. I'll re-anchor at Mott Basin again. Tomorrow morning I could clean the topsides while I catch the later flood tide.

I had lunch and then walked over to the fish market next door. Got 2 nice pieces of sole and petral to try on the way home. They packed them in ice for me and I have smoked salmon that I bought yesterday which is delicious. I got block ice at the Shell station so I am set for the trip back up river. The Salmi brothers ask me to write something up for their monthly ad in the Freshwater News. I agree to do so.
At 1630 we launch Shatoosh in minutes. She slides off the ways, I jump on board and start the engine and we are off heading down the Skipanon River. We pass numerous sea lions and meet several incoming fishing vessels. I can see lots of whitecaps on the horizon, but the seas are small. I get out past the markers and the waves are on my port quarter and beam. Oh, Shatoosh is rolling, big time. A freighter is coming outbound and I turn back up to take her big wake. I switch my GPS screen to track back mode. I 'd like to get some fuel but the seas are so confused at West basin that I opt not to try to get in. It is so rough, that I am holding on with my left hand, steering with my right, my legs are stabilizing me and spread to 3 feet wide. The waves coming off the breakwaters are hitting me on the starboard side as well. It knocks my navigation tray into the air. Everything else hold its place, including my tea kettle on the galley area. Once under the Astoria bridge it is flat and we are riding very smoothly.
At 1530 I round Tongue Point and head towards my anchorage in the Mott-Lois Island area.
I anchor easily as there is no wind. It is hot and I'm sweaty. I tie up the solar shower and give me a nice scrubbing. I fix me a nice fish dinner and asparagus. At dark, I write up a rough draft of my ad for the boat yard. It will be fun to see Shatoosh in the ad and many people will read it.
It is a privilege to do this for them and I am honored that they asked me.