Friday, July 31, 2009

Anchoring in Martin Slough

31 July 2009: Friday





Ralph and I chat before I leave. I pick his brain about cruising in and around Astoria as he does it often. He shared that the rough waters around the entrance to the west basin are more common than not and you just have to drive through the opening to get into west mooring basin. I continue up the river and a ship is outbound. After he passes, a sailboat and I are headed into the channel and the dredging boats with a series of piping begin to close off that section of the channel. The sailboat skipper and I are looking which way we should go so with binoculars in hands we decide to change course to port and hope for the best. It is the correct decision. This brings us to Longview and the bridge. All the ships that have passed me in the last several days are tied up or anchored. Most are from Panama, but one from Bergen, Norway. these are the ones that bring in the large wind propellers for the wind generators, but today they are off loading some scoopable material.






I dock at Rainier to pump out my head and after tying up I see there isn't a nozzle. I have an adaptor so turn the machine on and its pumping ability is rather poor, but I am able to get it pumped out. I move the boat down and retie her. I meet a couple from California who is rving and visiting family. They wanted to know if the Mexican restaurant was any good and I said yes.
I was going there myself and would they join me? We had a wonderful meal and conversation. I went up to get ice and stopped at the RV place to get chemicals for the head and bought blueberries from the street vendor. That was about all I could carry. I leave just in time as the afternoon winds begin to pick up steadily and by the time I get to Kalama, I am surfing those waves again, but this time they are 2 footers. A piece of cake.

Just as I am about to anchor in Martin Slough, Jean calls me from Hawaii. So I drift and talk to her before I anchor. It never fails just when I am about to drop the hook Jean calls me. With the 3 hour time change I best talk to her when she calls or I'll never get her. The Cathlamet group is pulling in to the dock. I'm glad I decided to anchor so I can have some peace and quiet and another wonderful shower.




As the sun drops behind the cottonwoods, the air cools off and I bring out my last bit of smoked salmon and top it off with blueberries. How good is that? There is only one other boat anchored for the night. It is very peaceful and quiet. Another beautiful day and wonderful evening. My cruise is coming to a close, but I will squeeze one more day in at Coon Island.


The Salmi Bros. responded to my endorsement. They liked it and soon we will be seeing it in their advertisement in the Freshwater News. Boy, Oh, Boy! Or, as Jean would say,"bonanza".
It is 2130 hrs the sunset is beautiful, the moon has risen and it is about time to close the hatches and window flaps and say, goodnite to all of you faithful readers. My life is so blessed. Thank you all for making my life a blessed event.