Thursday, July 23, 2009

Heading Down River for Haulout

23 July 2009 Thursday:
After not getting any response from my fellow cruisers, I decide to go and not deal with the car.
I spend some time doing all the routine chores, and finally get off at 1550 hrs. I have a nice smooth cruise to Martin Slough and dock at 1850 hrs. I make 6 knots against the mild wind and flooding tide. I'm starving and open my oven baked chicken and have blueberries. NO cooking, just eating. There is another boat at the dock with lots of kids and they take a long dinghy ride. It is just enough time for me to have a quick shower. I had planned to take a shower at the marina and somehow time got away from me and it slipped my mind. It is cool tonight so I have my long pants and shirt on. Last night it cooled off so much I got up in the night and pulled out my down bag that I had so carefully packed several days ago. I plan on using it again tonight. It is so great. I purchased it in 1970 in Denver. It is older than Shatoosh.

While in Martin Slough I get 2 responses from my cruising group. With my decision made not to mess with the car, it will free me up to perhaps stay at the Shilo Inn near the boatyard, where I can relax in comfort, swim in their indoor pool, take a sauna, workout at the gym. Its beginning to sound good. I'll check it out.

Tomorrow I will depart early and catch the morning ebbing tide. My destination is Walker Island Dock which is about 16 nm. I like hanging out there. It is rural, has a resident osprey and is always a good meeting place for fellow cruisers. If the weather is good I might put Pashmina in and row some with the new oars and hang out in my favorite cove. I bought some new boating novels, so might pack a lunch and read some.
See ya tomorrow.