Sunday, July 26, 2009

Warrenton Boat Yard On The Skipanon River

26 July 2009: Sunday













There is no rush to depart, as I will have an ebbing tide until about noon. However, with winds increasing throughout the day, it may be prudent to get there earlier than later. I get up at 0700 after a good night's sleep. The wind and waves stopped about 2130. I awoke at 0400 and checked my position so went back to bed. The large ketch behind me left about 0730 and later I see him anchored again at Young's Bay. I weigh anchor and we are off and running towards the ocean at 0845. I round Tongue Point at 0915 and the depths are over 100 ft. My speed is 8.8 knots and I am only running at 2000 rpm as opposed to my usual 2500 rpm.
I cruise inside of the marked channel as there is plenty of deep water. There are 4 ships lined up in the designated anchorage. I adjust my radar scale to get them all in the screen. The weather this morning is cloudy and grey. The seas are flat and there is very little wind. I'm at the Astoria bridge at 0940 and my speed is now 9.6 knots and the seas are like a washing machine all of a sudden, but soon after passing the bridge they flatten back out.

I cross Young's Bay and pick out my channel markers for Skipanon River. Its 0950 and I am at the entrance. I turn to port and my speed slows dramatically to 5.7 knots and I am slide slipping fast. I make my steering adjustments and stay up river of marker #4. As I enter the river the depth reads 7 feet. Today is another minus tide. Lots of Great Blues and Canada Geese are feeding along the shore. On the port side there is a large fishing fleet all tied up; even a vessel from Honolulu. The Warrenton Boat Harbor is up at the left. On the starboard side there is a seafood processing company, townhomes with a marina, and Skipanon marina. then in the back near the highway bridge is Warrenton Boat Yard. The tide is way out and as I pull into the specified slip there is only 3 feet of water. I tie up on the very end of the dock and hope the tide has finished its run. I have heard this is a very professional yard. They do many large, expensive boats and many fishing vessels. This is a third generation business and from the looks of the docks they must be the originals. I'll be hauled out on a railcar, so I go over and inspect it. I have had many boats hauled on a railway and I like it better. Shatoosh was hauled on a railway in Napa.





At noon Pashmina goes into the water and we turn up river to start exploring on a flooding tide. There is an abundance of birds; GBH, Mallards, Canada geese, Eagles, and Kingfishers. My oars are working excellently, and I do not need to tweak any more. I see some older homes along the tiny river as it winds back into the wooded areas. There is a busy boat launch that I check out. Crossing the Columbia River bar information is readily available via signage and VHF radio. The fish and wildlife lady is in attendance with her computerized tabulator logging in numbers and types of fish being brought in. So far I haven't seen much action. I see another culvert passing under a roadway. This has 3 culverts and has drop down doors to cover the culverts turning it into a dam. Do I go through or do I stay? The temptation is too great, so in I go. The ceiling is too high to reach but it has the same brick masonry as the other one at Rooster Rock. With the tide flooding I pass through easily. On the other side is a log jam across the river, so now I have to turn back. I row back up to the culvert and the speed of the current surprises me. I can't row and I can't reach the ceiling, so I am flushed out of the culvert. I am thinking this could be a problem. I row back to the culvert entrance and while holding on to a metal grab bar I take one of my oars out of the oarlock and push it up to the ceiling and give me a good shove. It works, I advance a foot. So I repeat this over and over until I get through to the other side. I have worked up a good sweat and take off my fleece pullover. The sun is coming out and things are looking up for me. I return at 1330 hrs and check my depth sounder. It reads 7 ft.

I have some lunch, and do some chores. Last night when I was checking my anchor/navigational lights, my running white light was off. I opened it up and cleaned the ends and presto it is working. I clean the cabin top again. At 1530 Pashmina and I take off this time down river to see all those marinas and boats. A man is on this interesting old ferro cement schooner rigged out as a commercial fishing vessel. He keeps her here in the summer then moves her up to the Willamette River for the winter where he lives. I do see an newer Albin, however they do not appeal to me. Upon my return I load Pashmina back topside and wash her off and cover her so she won't get dirty in the yard. Actually they pull the boats up into a 3 story shed to work on them. I guess with the ocean weather they have to be able to work under many conditions.I check the depth sounder and it reads 12 ft. I fix me a light dinner and begin writing the blog.
Today really brings to light the power of the ocean and the moon creating such powerful tides. It is awesome to be amongst the pull of the pacific. Another wonderful day with my friends, Shatoosh and Pashmina.