Thursday, July 30, 2009

Pupus on a Hawaiian Boat From Haleiwa

29 July 2009: Wednesday

The morning is beautiful and I had planned to wait for the flooding tide later in the day, however it seems the wind comes up, so again, as much as I like this anchorage, I best be on my way. It is imperative that I get to the fuel dock before it closes. I weigh anchor and am on my way at 1030. I am no more out in the Columbia River channel a minute and a ship is bearing down on me. It is the Leo Forest from Panama. I see his bow wake coming so I turn to port and face it head on and then comes a series of stern wakes. Shatoosh takes them all easily. There is a slight wind and 1-2 feet seas from the NW. It is just beautiful and I am making 6 knots against the current.
By 1130 the seas and winds are increasing and my speed drops to 5.1 k. Jean calls from Hawaii and we chat a while. I hang up and coming up on my port quarter is another ship. I do not get the name as it is a triple name not easily written. I do my best to take its wakes and again turn on its stern following its lead to the next range markers. It is not long that it is out of sight.

I'm having to focus now on steering in these building waves and wind. Pillar Rock where Lewis and Clarke camped across from, comes up at 1230. A large 40+ cruiser passes me on my port side going slow, which is unusual. I appreciate not getting hit by a huge wake. At marker "28" the seas decrease and by 1345 when I pass marker "36" I pull off out of the channel and take a potty break, grab a piece of cheese and some almonds and head back on course. My speed is
5.3 k and the tide is still ebbing. I establish an ETA to Cathlamet of 1425 hrs. Another ship is coming up river, as I am planning to cross the river, so I hold back and let him pass in front of me. The big boys have the right of way. I enter the area between Puget Island and Cathlamet and round the entrance can "1" at exactly 1425. How good is that for an accurate ETA? As I pull into the harbor, the big boat that passed me is at the fuel dock, so I circle around and pull in after him getting my meager 14 gallons of fuel. After tying up to the guest dock I pay my $ 9.00 for the night. The price has gone up 1 dollar since last year. The wind blowing is cool and feels good.

After tidying up, walking around the docks I meander down to my dock where there is a very cute little boat. I just have to see it and meet the man and woman on board. Loyd and Kathy used to live on the north shore of Oahu and kept their boat in Haleiwa. They would fish every morning and bring home something delicious to eat. They moved to this area and shipped the little Skipjack named Kapeku. They seem to be enjoying cruising her now as opposed to just fishing on her. She is really a beauty of a boat and I like the cream and turquoise color combination.They installed her with a new (Volvo) no less. While we exchange favorites cruising spots, Kathy is busy in the small galley and comes up with some yummy pupus. Where else, would you run into fellow Hawaiians, but in Cathlamet. We had the best time talking story, as the locals would say. What a wonderful, delightful time with this special couple and their cute, Kapeku.