Monday, July 27, 2009

Fog Horns Awake Me For Haul Out Day

27 July 2009: Monday

During the night I hear fog horns and my alarm awakes me at 0430 hrs. I rise and see the big flood lights lighting up the haul out areas. The engine on the fishing boat is running, but I don't see a soul. It is foggy for sure. I make me a mug of coffee and around 0530 the skeleton of the big rail car is quietly slipping into the dark water adjacent to me. Atop are 2 men each very tall, well over 6 feet, dressed in white coveralls.. I open the cabin flap and he tells me that they will haul me after the big boat. The guys on the rail car are very professional and use hand signals with a man in the lift room, who I cannot see. In a matter of minutes the ship is out of the water. They come over to me and I meet Charles with whom I have talked to on the phone. He is older than his brothers, Dave and Steve and they all look alike. I show them another photo I have of Shatoosh on the rails in Napa. They are all set. I get off Shatoosh and they hand line her around the dock after the cradle comes down the ways. They slowly bring her up and make numerous adjustments; bow is 6 inches to starboard, listing slightly to starboard. With all corrections made she is up and out. My zincs are still looking really good. The guys think Shatoosh is really something. They have never seen an old Albin before. She's a first for these Salmi brothers. They put up a ladder for me, I climb aboard and don't think it will be a problem to sleep aboard. The angle is not bad at all. I fix breakfast of a green drink and almonds. It is 0600 hrs.


















The bottom is pressure washed, the new zincs go on and a new one is added to the rudder strut. The cutlass bearing is good and does not need to be replaced. After lunch the hull line is taped, and the bottom painted with Pettit Unepoxy 1224 blue. Charles and I discuss painting the hull at some point in time, along with other needed projects and some nice to have projects. These brothers really do an outstanding job and are meticulous. I will recommend them, highly, as everyone is delaying haul outs due to poor workmanship. It has been hard to find competent workers, so it is nice to find professionals. Now, I have a good diesel mechanic and haul out yard. What more could an aging skipper want? The weight of hauling out has been lifted from my shoulders. We will wait until tomorrow's afternoon high tide to launch.


I tell the guys when the bottom was being pressure washed that the forced water came up the sink through hull fitting. I went back aboard at some point to make me some iced tea and I discovered the galley a mess. "What is going on," I say to myself? Then it dawns on me what has happened. I get the stove top, sink, cabinets cleaned. Then I look up at the ceiling. The boring grey, speckled cabin top now has many other strange colored spots on it. Easy off it comes. I tell them this has never happened before and I would never think to put the stopper in the sink drain. They are so apologetic, stating they have never had this happen, as well.
I'm celebrating this evening by eating Mexican food at the local restaurant tonight. I notice that my shoulders are pulled back straighter as I walk the 2 blocks to eat dinner. Boy, was it good and they have the cutest painted and carved furniture in all of Mexico. Ole', I say to myself. My days keep getting better and better.