Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Scappoose Moorage to Hadley’s Landing

10 June 2009: Wednesday

The morning is filled with the usual departure schedule; hauling, hauling and more hauling. With the groceries stowed, the boat washed down, the engine checked, and the water tank filled, I cast off my lines and my friends Shatoosh, Pashmina and I head upriver for a change. Not long after departure it begins to sprinkle. We stop at Rocky Pointe Marina to fuel up. I can’t wait to see if my eagle family has returned again this year. In between the rain drops, I can spot the nest high in the cottonwood trees on the Sauvie island side of the slough. I had spotted the male bald eagle downriver sitting in a tree. The eagle I saw on the nest was an immature mother flapping her wings. Immature eagles do not have the white head and tail feathers and don’t get their mature plumage until 4-5 years.


Across the river and a little upriver is the great blue heron rookery and several nests with herons on them could be seen. It was difficult to see much more than that with the rain falling. I see some clearing out east of Portland, but since I have not eaten lunch, it is raining I decide to pull into Hadley’s landing. A 47 ft Chris Craft had just tied up before my arrival. They are from Tyee Yacht Club and they will be having a club rendezvous this weekend. I chat with them later in the day as the sun comes out. I have to admit I am still a little tired from this allergy fit. Today is the first day I haven’t had to take any medication for it. I’ll take it easy this afternoon and perhaps take in a cat nap. I review the charts for tomorrow’s trip and yes, I’ll be beating up against the tides and current. I only went 5nm today, but it is a nice, quiet start. I’m out in the country, lots of birds are singing, a few people fishing from the dock. The river or slough is swollen near to the tops of its banks and one needs to keep a watchful eye for all those trees and limbs that are racing down river to the sea.

More about Sauvie island: Back in Lewis and Clark days it was called Wapatto Island for all the potato like roots that grew here. Sauvie island is the largest island in the US that sits in fresh water. It is about a 50 mile circumnavigation. By the time I get Shatoosh back to Scappoose we will have completed another circumnavigation of the island. It is a large farming island and home to a huge wildlife refuge. In the winter there are a half a million birds and over 40 different species.