Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Rooster Rock to Reed Island Anchorage

15 June 2009: Monday

I depart Rooster Rock at 0830 hrs on a ebbing tide, but still have 7-11 feet of water in the slough. I swing out into the protected bight at the entrance as this looks like a good place to anchor providing the wind is blowing up river. I mark it on my chart as I head out into the channel and sight my next navigational marker. I want to cruise as close to Reed Island as I can to see the lay of the land. There is a large stand of small trees that have been blown over which would have had to be winds coming off the cliffs above Rooster Rock and blowing down river to do this kind of damage.

By 0930 hrs I am anchored just inside the entrance to Reed island in 12 feet of water. I set my anchor hard with my engine in reverse. There is no wind, the sun is out and the river looks like a lake. There are many GBH(herons), ospreys and a few eagles. I'm going to like this place. I had stowed the solar shower on the floor of Pashmina and by 1100 hrs the water is nice and warm. I have a nice bath/shower and boy, does that feel good. Clean clothes..well, I put on a swim suit of sorts.








A kayaker paddles by and circumnavigates the island, a research vessel comes into shore on Reed and checks some traps, and some small fishing boats are cutting through from the upper end of Reed from the Columbia. With all the high water they are getting through. The charts show that the upper end is all exposed shoaling normally. On the WA side there is a small airfield in which I watch some aerobatic planes perform their loops, spirals, and dives. I watch 3 free air shows this afternoon. I never know what the next minute will bring. Later in the afternoon the clouds clear off the tops of the mountains and Mt Hood is clear as a bell. I can see Crown Point above Rooster Rock. Just off my port side the ospreys have a favorite fishing hole and dive all day long taking their small catches back to their nests to their ever starving babies.










My most unfavorite nautical vessel: the skidoos arrive for an evening of zooming here and there

and I believe they take great joy in getting as close as they can to anchored boats. By sunset, all the boats have gone except myself and another one anchored deep into the cut. We turn our anchor lights on at dark and settle in for a peaceful night.












Days run 4.1nm


Total: 62.5 nm