Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Rooster Rock

13 June 2009: Saturday


I see a Canada Goose with 3 goslings early in the morning hanging out along the shoreline. It looks like it is going to rain so I jump in Pashmina and row ashore and visit the head. By the time I get back at 0830 it begins to drizzle and continues all day until 1400 hrs.


This is a library day, so I pick out a book that I haven't read in about 20 years. The Wreck of the Mary Deare, by Hammond Innes. A fascinating story set in the Minkes off France of a yacht being run down by a rogue, unmanned ship. It kept my attention all afternoon, but at 1400 when the rain stopped and the sun came out I was back in Pashmina rowing up and down the slough. On my life jacket I have a strobe light and a whistle attached. New batteries are put in at the beginning of each season. After dinner and dark I return to my book and finish it by bedtime. This was an easy day and I got 2 miles of rowing in.