Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Reed Island to Government Island West(Sandy Beach)

17 June 2009: Wednesday


I weigh anchor at 1030 and set a course deeper into the cut behind Reed Isl, following the path of that cruiser last night. I was amazed how much further up river I could go. This is good knowledge for future trips. It always helps to have local knowledge. I retrace my course and cut across the channel to where I have seen some other fishing boats go. It is behind Gary Island and is between several range markers. There is a small cove back there that would be good to go in at high tide. I make my stop at 6 feet depth and survey the area. This also would provide shelter in the spring and early summer in a shallow draft boat. All good to know about.

I turn down river and at markers 50 and 48 my speed is 10k at 2400rpm. I usually cruise at 2700 rpm.


I'm pulling into the port of Camas-Washougal and am prepared for the strong currents. Fenders and lines are ready on both sides. I need to pump out my holding tank which is on the starboard side but that would mean I would have to dock down current which would not be a good idea and a large signage on the dock states not to try this. As I approach the dock the current kicks me off so I have to retry. I continue up into the marina and circle back down and out and then turn around again to come into the dock. Just then a small fishing boat with 2 men pull abruptly behind me and take the place next to the pump out station where I was going to dock. I gave them a stern look and then was going to have to pull forward and out again. The man jumped out of his boat and yelled, Come back, I'll help you. He grabs my stern line in the nick of time and together we get the boat tied up. I asked him if he was getting gas and he said no. I said I need the pump out hose and he gets it for me. Just as quickly as they arrived on the scene they were gone. I was miffed that they were messing up my strategy, but the truth was they had pulled in behind me to assist me. Nautical Angels. I yelled thanks and waved.



The current is so strong at the dock I didn't dare try to untie to move Shatoosh closer to the pump out. I was hoping the hose would reach. I am now in a position that I never wanted to be in. I walk out on the narrow deck and hold onto to the cabin top railing and bend over to try to reach the screw fitting with my my little opener tool. I stretch my body to the max and both armpits feel as though they are being ripped apart as I see the current raging past my eyes. I get it open and off and then have to screw in the adaptor fitting. On the third try I get it aligned correctly. I stand back up and walk to turn on the pump, get the hose and bring it around the aft section of the boat. I put it between my legs and use my hands to take me back out on the side deck again. I can't manipulate the on/off switch, but discover that it is stuck in the on position. Again I stretch and lean over to pump her out. Fortunately, I have a small holding tank so it only takes less that a minute. That done I return the pump, remove the adaptor, screw on the cover plate, go below and put in new toilet chemicals and wash my hands. I'm hot and have a headache from bumping my head, so take some electrolytes and water and feel instantly refreshed. Now I'm hoping getting ice will be easy. I call on the dock phone, leave a message and wait for someone to come down.

2 men show up and are quite happy and friendly. Well, I have to say it again, they were really impressed with Shatoosh. We chat for some time and then I ask for ice. He brings me a bag/ they don't carry block. I ask, how much? He says there is no charge today for you, smiling from ear to ear. Really? How can that be, I ask? We want to be of help and provide good service. They wait as I shift my ice box items around. Mark is his name. He hands me his card. Oh, I see, he is the harbor master. He tells me that on the other side of the pump out is another protected slip that I can use in the future. Good news and it just gets better. He will cast me off and come help me tie up at the Puffin restaurant, where I had planned to eat lunch. Off I go and he meets me around the corner. The current is now abeam and compressing all my fenders, so I put out some extra fenders for protection. He says he is off to lunch, but call him when I am ready to leave and he will help me off. What a nice guy. Talk about service. A have a great lunch and give Mark a call. He is back in minutes and helps get me off the dock. I tried to move the boat and I could not make it move an inch against the current, so I was glad to see him. With some fast maneuvering and goosing the engine I was able to get out and around the last boat on the pier and turn up current and make my circle out of the marina. Whew, is all I can say, but I'm glad to know that I can pump out under the worst of conditions. Later in the day, I send Mark a photo of Shatoosh with a big thank you text. Another Nautical Guardian Angel. I love it.

1315hrs I'm glad to be on the river again and decide not to explore this inlet(Jensen Cove) nestled down in the barge haulout area. I've had my fill of tight quarters and currents. However, I do want to explore the back side of Akerman Island and the slough into Camas. I pick up the Akerman range and see some interesting places: The Vancouver Yacht Club, and several large homes on the Wa side. One design catches my eye: one central octagonal living area with 2 separate wings. This is just what I have always thought would be an ideal living arrangement. 2 private wings and a great room to share common activities. Perfect. I 'm now reaching "4"marker at Lady Island which acts a buffer zone for the Camas Slough. This slough is really for barge traffic into the papermills in Camas. It is deep and lined with pilings to tie barges to. As I approach the overhead bridge I am slowed by the swift current again and not wanting to get into a tight space again, I turn and retrace my course outward bound docking safely at the newly completed Government Island Docks( over a 1,000ft of dock space) on the west end. It is 1500hrs and I am the only one here. Surprise, I love weekday cruising.









All seems quite and peaceful until after I go to bed. At 2300hrs I am awakened by the wake of probably a tug and barge. Shatoosh rides the wake rather poorly so I decide to get up and check my dock lines. I see the tug and barge upriver of me. I'm sitting on the helmseat looking at the lights and how pretty the 205 bridge is at night when out of the corner of my right eye is an animal moving down the outer dock. It's head is lowered and he is moving rather fast but checking out the various sides of the dock. He goes to the end and starts back up. I grab my flashlight and shine it in his direction. Yes, it looks like a coyote for certain. I don't see him leave the docks, but wait as he could be coming down my dock or perhaps he already has. I stay put and in a few minutes a large cruising ship appears coming down river at a fast clip. I can't hear an engine nor do I feel any wake. A four story cruise ship all lighted up like a ghost ship. I sit quietly in the dark of the cockpit waiting to see what might happen next but all seems quite. I crawl back into my bunk and immediately fall asleep. Early in the morning before dawn I have these amazing dreams of coyotes and wolves coming into my newly purchased property. I brew an extra strong cup of coffee to get me going.


Days run 15.1nm Total 77.4nm