Sunday, September 21, 2008

Walker Island to Cathlamet Wa.

16 Sept 2008 Tuesday

After breakfast Hugh from Kaizen comes over to investigate Shatoosh. He and Victoria have been photographing the young Osprey. We have some good boat conversations. He is an old bicyclist and avid car fan so he and Ann hit it off. This year marks Ann's 50th anniversary of biking from New Jersey to Portland on 3 speed Schwinn bikes with her friend Pudge. Ann and Pudge were given the Keys to the City of Portland by the Mayor upon their arrival. What an accomplishment! Congratulations ladies. We have been eating fresh corn from Pudge's farm in Orting this trip.

1046 We pull away from the dock and head down river, slowing to take some pictures of the granite cliffs covered with bright green lichen. Out on the Columbia we pick up speed with the ebbing tide and cruise along at 8.2 knots.


































One hour later we are anchored at Gull island to spend some time in the sun. This is the sweetest beach. Hira downs her lemon water and Ann enjoys the
view.









Across the river is Hwy 4 which runs the river to the west. Large granite cliffs dwarf the roadway. It is a lovely drive I'm told by Ann and Linda. I've only done it by boat.












We have a nice turkey sandwich for lunch. The tide is out and we spot 45 Canada Geese sitting on the barren spit. I sketch in a picture in my log book which I will use in Vol 3 of my Children's Series of the Adventures of Shatoosh and Pashmina. It is a relaxing spot as another Majuro Ship passes out bound. This time it is the Therese Selmer. I jokingly say they must be in for a run on Spam, as the folks in Micronesia and Hawaii are big spam eaters. I think they were grain vessels. [ I checked the World Ship Registry and the Majuro ships are grain vessels and many have ladies names with Selmer as the last. I haven't found out who all these ladies are.]

Ann takes the helm at 1430 and we cross the river to take a closer look at Abernethy and Mill Creeks which we have spotted from our anchorage. It would be fun to take Pashmina up them. The water is over 80 ft deep along this shore, and someone has hung big tractor tires from the cliff, so you could tie up in calm seas and dinghy in for a while and pray for no big ships to pass. We pass an upriver barge and tug with salvaged cars on them. These are really compact cars. I didn't get a picture as I was stowing the anchor and rode as they passed.


AT 1540 Cape Horn is blowing bad so we will take the longer route around Puget Island to get into Cathlamet. The wind is blanketed by the island so we make good time and I quiz Ann on the Rules of the Road, buoy systems and establishing ETA's. The Ferry boat Waikiakum crosses our path and who has right of way? This ferry boat goes from Westport to Puget Island. Every time our speed changes I make Ann compute our ETA to Cathlamet. Its all good practice.
We make the channel marker 4 minutes ahead of our eta of 1730.









I take the helm to come into the marina, the wind is on our stern, the tide ebbing, the docks are narrow so it is difficult to turn the boat around. I make a mistake and start my turn too far down on the docks, so the wind keeps pushing me deeper into the boats and shallow water. Ann is prepared with the boat hook, all fenders out and finally I can get the boat backed up out of this hole I've gotten into and dock on my port side. I just can't get the bow turned around in the wind. I learned that lesson.
After docking I take my shoe off as my foot has been feeling bruised all day. I was thinking I had bruised it climbing on the rocks at Walker island. I look at it and there is a red, swollen area and I discover a wood sliver from the dock. I had to remove a sliver from Ann's foot yesterday. I get my magnifying glass, tweezers, and scissors and go to work on it. Out it comes and I clean it with alcohol and do Reiki on it. In the morning it is all OK.

We go to the River View for dinner again and head back to Shatoosh for tea and early to bed. It has been so much fun having Ann along. She is ready for any and everything. She's neat and tidy
and is most helpful on the boat. Next time don't wait so long in joining us on Shatoosh and Pashmina.

Days run 23 nm
Ann's total mileage was 61nm.
Grand Total 171nm