Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Carrolls Channel to Walker Island Dock via Goble, Kalama and Ranier










8 September 2008 Monday
A large landing craft appear coming up the channel early in the morning. It is the Sea Hawk and it contains a a tractor, 2 trucks, 2- 18 wheelers and a ATV. It is really loaded and listing. It heads around the corner and may beach it at an old ramp. I depart at 0915 and reach the Columbia River at 0930. The Pacific Destiny
is tied to the dock and is another ship from Majuro. amazing to see 2 in 2 days. I have called the RV and marina in Goble across the river to see if they have block ice. Yes, they do and I take on 3 blocks. Then over to Kalama to pump out my holding tank. I get everything all set to pump and then read a sign saying non-operable indefinitely. A man says they have ordered a new one.
I take this opportunity to check in with Carol on Knot Enuf. She and her husband Steve live aboard and I met them in Martin Slough a couple years ago and continue to meet them on the river. I wanted their permission to include them in my blog and gave her the site name.
I now have to head down river to the little town of Ranier to pump out. Usually the wind and waves are so bad here it is hard to pump out, but I have another motive. The finals for the US Open are today with Roger playing Murray and I can go to the Mexican Restaurant for lunch and maybe catch a few games. I have already missed the match, but the Mexican food was great. Pump out was easy as there was no wind nor waves. At 1345 I leave Rainer and pass ships:
Danann- Panama
Cetus Leader-Panama
Portland Bay(car vessel)- Hong Kong, as I pass under the Lewis and Clark Bridge connecting Oregon and Washington at Longview.
I poke my bow into some nice looking anchorages along the Walker Island side and find one place near Marker 12. It has 30 ft of water and a rock filled wing dam which would give protection from the upriver wind and seas. A nice beach. I mark it on my chart as a possibility.

At 1515 I dock at the Walker Island Dock. This dock is not attached to land and is managed by the Columbia River Yacht Club and open to all boaters. You can probably dock 4- 40 ft boats on each side. It is a nice overnight stay for down river cruising, but also fun to hang out for several days of dinghy exploring. I will stay today and tomorrow and leave on the 10th.
A beautiful sailboat is down at the end of the dock, a 37 ft. Hinkley and a Sparkman Stephens design. A hull much like Sabra, so naturally I have to go and take a look. The family is from Portland and the La Rondine was purchased in the Bay Area and trucked up here about 17 years ago. There are 2 young boys aboard , a teenage daughter and a wife. They really take good care of her and later the Captain comes over to see pictures of Sabra. Hinkleys are made in Maine and are very reputable vessels and the craftsmanship is impeccable. You don't see too many out west. This is a treat for me to see this boat.

Again, this year there is another screaming young osprey in the nest. Last year I was interested in the fact the young one had already fledged so wondered why these birds continue to live in the nest and the mothers fly back and forth throughout the day to drop off fish. This years youngster is flying in the cove area, but doesn't seem to hunt on his own. It is fascinating to watch as he can spot his mother flying in with a meal and his screams escalate and as she is circling his begins to flap and flap his wings. He is so excited as she swoops in touching down for a moment to drop the fish and off she goes again to the highest trees on the point down river of here. When he gets hungry he starts calling her non stop again. Nature at its best.

days run 20.2 nm
Total 48.9 nm