Sunday, January 29, 2012

A Break in the Weather

After snow, ice, wind and rain storms have pelted the Pacific Northwest in the last few weeks, I take a trip south to visit Shatoosh and Pashmina. The sky is blue, but the temperature is in the high 30's. All the marina dredging has been completed that started this month. This project has been 7 years in the works, so I am certain the owners are happy to get this project checked off their list. I also see some new metal pilings that have been placed at the north side.

I had purchased a new  IPhone 4 so I have been busy leaning how to operate it. I learned that all my old ipod  Mini chargers(house, boat and car) will function with the phone, so I don't have to buy new chargers, which is a relief. I remove all my old phone chargers, belt clips to bring them home for recycling. John, in Georgia, who is building his hardtop for Ms Bettencourt has asked for some new measurements on grab bars and radar mount. This will give me a good opportunity to test out the phone-camera. Today I had enough signal to send emails from the slip to John. Things are looking up.

 My radar is a small JRC 1000, which is no longer made. I bought the mount from West Marine in 2003. It is a Power Tower made by Scan Strut, Universal, 5 inch forward leaning and is thru bolted into the eyebrow of the hardtop. This means it is outside of the helm station and the radar cable is then run along the underside of the hardtop and enters the cabin  on the starboard side. The excess cable is stored in the storage area beneath the helm station flooring.

I start the engine and the diesel heater and get the boat nice and warm to take some inventories of supplies, and to check things out. I keep a list of spare parts/numbers, clothes on board and keep them in the note section on the phone. That way I always know what is on board and can buy the right item when I am at the marine stores.

After all items done, I call a friend who lives nearby in a retirement community and pay her a visit. She is 86 and very spry, but she needs helps getting a bookcase into her car from the local store. We head out to take care of that, but I find in the car port an older couple taking groceries out of their car. She is all bent over hobbling on a cane and he is wrestling a recalcitrant cart. He looses his footing and I watch in slow motion as he topples over and hear the sound of "crack" as his head hits the asphalt. He is alert, oriented and refuses to have 911 called. I get the bleeding stopped on his head and assess that nothing is broken. His wife has recently had a stroke, my friend probably weighs 90 pounds, so between the old man and me, we are able to get him up and he walks into the house. I encourage him to get checked out medically and later learn his daughter gets him to the ER and he is fine. This could have been a very serious injury. I get my friend to the store and get her bookcase unboxed and set up for her. Life after 85 is not easy, so they tell me.