Friday, October 17, 2008

The Willamette River Cruise The Wish Full Filling Dock

13 September 2006 Wednesday

We have a leisurely morning on board and reluctantly depart this wonderful park and dock at noon. Retracing our route we pass through an area of rocky outcroppings and islands and see our canoe friends settled in for the afternoon and evening. We toot our horn and wave to them. At 1420 we tie up at Bernert State Park. I call this the Wish Full Filling Dock in my Children’s Version of the Adventures of Shatoosh and Pashmina. We need ice and I tell Care that maybe a store is nearby and we can pick some up, if the walk is not too far. Not long after we tie up 2 men come walking down the dock to check out Shatoosh. We strike up a conversation and they have Masonic emblems on their rings or belts. I said my maternal line were Masons and even had Mason for their name. I asked them where the nearest store for ice was and they said it wasn’t within walking distance, but they would make a run for us. It wasn’t long before they were back with ice in hand. I asked how much I owed them and they replied it was on them. They were happy to have helped us. A good deed done by these Masons. Care and I hike over the way to the Tualitin River as it empties into the Willamette River. There were lots of Canada Geese and Merganzers. We had an enjoyable hike and walk through the park.

Days run 14.7 nm
Total Run 74.5 nm