Friday, October 17, 2008

Locking Down to Coon Island

























14 September 2008
Thursday

Morning brings a light misting rain and the temperature has dropped. There is a cold wind blowing. After an early breakfast I start a hike up to the land toilets before we pull out. I look up and see our canoe friends paddling towards the dock. They have their slickers on and do not look like they are having fun. “Have you had coffee this morning”, I ask? The lady says, “no, and I have been wishing for a cup for the last hour.” They are going to lock down this morning, so I tell them to go to Shatoosh and we will fix them some hot drinks. I return to tell Care to put on the kettle on the stove, as we have
company coming. After my pit stop I return to Shatoosh and fix up some hot coffee. They are most grateful for our kind deed. Remember this is the Wish Full Filling Dock. We got ice and she got her coffee.

At 0845 we depart and meet our canoe friends at the lock waiting area on the starboard side of the locks. We pull the cord to notify the lockmaster and soon the gates open and we get our green light to enter. We follow the canoe in and tie up on the port side of the lock. Locking down is a much smoother ride and we can see the gates leaking. It looks like a waterfall inside the lock. At 0940 we are out of the locks and circle around our canoeists to take their pictures. I fix Care and I some hot chocolate to celebrate. We proceed down river and have lunch underway just prior to entering the Multnomah channel. We decide to bypass Scappoose Moorage and go to Coon Island for another night on the water. Lots of Sandhill cranes are landing at Sauvie Island for their wintering at the refuge. We tie up at Coon Island and late afternoon brings some powerful lightning and thunder storms with some torrential rains which move through very fast. We spend some time cleaning up the boat and Care gets to clean the stove and I get the ice chest and refrigerator. My friend Pat on the Skua II always said,
"a busy crew is a happy crew."
Days run 33.5 nm
Total run 108 nm