Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Shatoosh and Pashmina Ebb Down River

15 July 2008 Tuesday
We depart about 1500 hrs from Scappoose Moorage. Stores for a week have been stowed, water tanks filled and after stopping at the St Helen's fuel dock to top off the tank for a mere price of $50.00 we head for Martin Slough along the Washington shore. It is about 18 nm away via the Multnomah Channel and the Columbia River.

Times have changed since I bought Shatoosh in 1999. She is now 36 years old and I am 65. I could fill the whole tank for $20. We have cruised 1700 nmiles in the California Delta and 2000 nmiles along the Columbia River System. My tattered boat clothes are worn thinner after another year, my hair has greyed, but my spirit soars when the snow melts and the tide ebbs.
The sun is out and the breeze is cool. I see many osprey parents with their hungry babies all nestled in their fine nests afixed to the log pilings along the shores. I tie up to the Tyee Yacht Club out station dock in Martin Slough Lagoon with one other boat. Several other sailboats are anchored out in the lagoon.This is perhaps my most favorite destination. During the week I am usually the only boat, but this is peek cruising time so I don't mind sharing the space. I dine on steelhead, asparagus and potatoe salad. The waxing moon is golden as it appears over the cottonwood trees. I hang out in the cockpit at the nav station until after dark and head for my warm bunk about 2300 hrs. I keep the hatch open and allow the crisp night air to blow through the cabin. Summer is long overdue this year and I am so happy to be on the river. I love being on the water and close to nature.