Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Martin Slough to Cottonwood Island in Carrolls Channel

17 July 2008 Thursday
Hira works 2 more hours in the early morning to finish the waxing on the starboard side of Shatoosh. Boy, she sure looks nice. They are all off by 1000hrs. heading down river. Hira decides to take the back way behind Sandy Island to get to Goble so she can pick up some ice. We are in luck, the ole man at the RV park has some block ice for a change. I take 2 blocks and 2 gallon jugs of drinking water, drop off the trash, hit the shore side head and in no time flat we are back on the water and headed past the old nuclear imploded tower. They are still bull dozing the site's debris. This place gives me the creeps. We cross over the river and duck behind Cottonwood Island traveling down Carrolls Channel to my favorite anchorage. Carrolls Channel connects the Columbia River and the Cowlitz River as it enters the Columbia. This is a sweet anchorage as no one ventures on the backside and there is a large marsh with lots of wild life. In spite of being close to I-5 and the railroad tracks, it is very peaceful. I see lots of osprey, eagles, merganzers and a few kingfishers.













Today is Gurupurnima, the largest appearing full moon and the day to honor our Guru, Gurumayi. Tonight I stay up chanting the mantra, Om Namah Shivaya and waiting to see that glorious moon. A cloud bank rolls over the bluff and blankets my view, but I am filled with gratitude for having Gurumayi in my life for over 23 years.