Sunday, January 5, 2014

Crew Wanted---A Window of Opportunity

Looking for Younger Crew

I have owned Shatoosh since December 1999 and have had quite a large crew-pool to rely upon. They have flown from many a direction to join Shatoosh and me from San Francisco Bay to the the Pacific Northwest. Crew has flown from the Hawaiian Islands, Texas, Arizona, East Coast, Idaho, Colorado, and California.



As I age, now 70, I am noticing that some of the boating demands as a single-handler are taking a toll. The extreme ramp angles challenge my unstable right knee which then is not happy with all the kneeling that is required. This then ripples down to stability when jumping off the boat when docking. Last summer my knee was acting up all through British Columbia, even causing me to fall and crash into some downed logs. A few years ago I asked myself how long was I planning on cruising on Shatoosh? My answer came quickly, "75".

 For many of my crew they are older than me. My oldest crew member is in her 80's and is still able to handle all of the duties of being a crew. However, many of my crew are in their late 70's and are having health issues which compromise their abilities. Some are still young and agile, but are working and have limited free time. I am so grateful for all the people who have crewed for me over these 13 years. We have had an incredible run and I want to thank each of you for all you have done to help me.























So its time to put a call out for younger crew to join Shatoosh, Pashmina and me. We have 5 years of opportunities to capture adventures in the northwest. If you have boating skills, have time, enjoy cruising on a slow boat, want to experience the Salish Sea, let me hear from you.