Sunday, March 27, 2011

Hira, Shatoosh and Sabra Are Gifted A Commemorative Brick

One of my long time friends, Jane Sweeney, took me to lunch today in our favorite location of Gig Harbor, WA. This is where I berthed Sabra back in the 80's, so it always holds lots of wonderful memories for me.
We lunched at our favorite Indian Restaurant and then Jane took me to visit the new Gig Harbor History Museum, as she had gifted me a a fundraiser brick with my name on it, as well as, Sabra and Shatoosh.





























This summer as I bring Shatoosh into the lower Sound from the Pacific Ocean, we will enter Gig Harbor, just as I had done with Sabra, in 1982. Jane had the foresight about a year ago to do this and is my birthday present for my 68th, which is coming just around the corner. I was so touched when she was telling me; that it brought tears to my eyes. What a wonderful friend and a wonderful gesture of honoring me and my boats, as part of the maritime history of Gig Harbor.



















The museum is a beautiful tribute to the long maritime history of the harbor. After Lt. Peter Puget entered Gig Harbor and explored the South Sound in 1792, Captain Vancouver, named the Sound, Puget. A name, that has stood the test of time, but has been recently changed to the Salish Sea, to honor the Salish Indians who lived in the Pacific North West.


I look forward to returning to this delightful harbor in Shatoosh and bringing all my crew to visit the museum. Thank you Jane, for this wonderful gift.