Sunday, August 31, 2008

My Distant Scottish Gilmour Cousin Shares

Hi,
Just read your latest and prompted to send photo of boat I once owned and sailed the West Coast of Scotland. The "Fan Tan" was a semi converted Clyde pilot boat which an ex MTB skipper and I fully converted to sleeping two on drop down table in spacious saloon with two bunks forward in chain locker. Powered by petrol/paraffin engine very reliable, required for the West . Used to take her over to Lochranza on the Island of Arran for month in the summer whilst having holiday home on the Island. Happy days but at 81 I am past it !!!
Yours,
Jim

Thanks Jim for sending this interesting boat and sharing some of your old cruising hotspots. I just went on to Google earth to see where in the world this was. What a nifty cove on the west side of Arran. If you have any other boat photos/stories, please share them with my readers.

Jim is my 4th cousin and our common ancestors are Joseph Gilmour and Mary Clarke who lived in Dundonald, Ayr, Scotland in 1774.