Saturday, August 30, 2008

Critters and More Critters

Critters Make me Nervous
May 2001

Last night Conrad and Juanita and I were sitting onboard the Crow’s Nest on Cheryl Lee to watch sunset. The owls came out in full glory flying over the sheds, especially "A" dock which is Shatoosh and my home. Soon there were 6 clicking and screaming. Back and forth they flew. I wondered why they were not out in the fields killing mice and snakes. I remembered I had left my boat open so decided to return.

My usual walk down "A" shed at night has been met with baby owls screaming and watching me constantly. I keep thinking they are going to attack me after my first attack took place last month. But tonight they are out bound and I make it to the slip, sighing with relief, when in the darkness I hear an animal scurrying and it was a mallard, but it scared me. Then, as I was getting into the boat, another mallard flew off the aft cabin. I turned on all the lights and checked down below. All I need is mallards making a nest on board.

The next night it is just before sunset and I am returning to the boat from the bathroom and I am 2 slips away and there is a 6 foot snake on the dock. It is just lying there. Now ,where are all those owls when you need them? I am next to a hose so spray it and it starts moving down the dock and enters the water in my slip. OH great, now, I am afraid to leave my hatch open at night. It could just slither on up the dock lines and into the boat. This is not what I need to be thinking, but the truth of the matter is scary, non the less.
What is next?