Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Cottonwood Island to Martin Slough Via Kalama

25 May 2009, Monday

After breakfast, the tide turns and I find myself swinging very close to shore( less than a boat's length), so I head back up to the fore peak, stand up through the hatch and pull in some more anchor line. I'll be leaving in a while, so having a short scope won't matter and there isn't much of breeze.
























The River is nice and calm. I am passed by a flotilla, led by the Kalama Sherriff's vessel, of kayakers and canoeists.
















I find the pump out station for the head is now working again, which is most convenient. This is such a better place to pump out than St. Helens. I motor on down to the guest dock and tie up. I decide to go into town which entails a unique journey of sorts. In between the town and the marina are the railroad tracks and the interstate highway. In order to walk into town you must first cross the railroad tracks, which means you have to climb 3 open flights of stairs to get to the walkway over the tracks, then 3 flights down.







At the top of the stairs it tells how the Pacific Northern Railroad was built in Kalama linking it to Tacoma Wa back in 1870's with 700 Chinese workers plus 400 workers from Scotland, Ireland, and Germany.




The next portion is easier, you just have to walk under the interstate and then presto you are in the quaint little town of Kalama. 2 blocks away is the Mexican Resturant which I will try.


I depart about 1430 hrs with my belly full of cheese and onion enchiladas and iced tea. Martin Slough lies about 5 nm upriver. This time I hug the Wa shore and have deep water all the way. I'm bucking the current and there are several rip tides in the area. As I approach the entrance to the slough, there are several boats leaving Martin Slough, which means there might be an opening at the dock for me. If there is I'll choose to spend the night here. Which will make for a long day back home tomorrow but I'm in no hurray.

The first big boat coming out is "Its Mee" and I wave to Udo on the bridge. Bev must be down below. This means Tomahawk Yacht Club was here. Which means that Knot Enuf might still be inside the lagoon. I recognize the sailboat, Northern Exposure, and the trawler, Gypsy Rose.

The wing dam down on the far side is totally under water. I make my turn into the opening and as I enter the lagoon there are still quite a few boats rafted together at anchor and the dock looks full at first glance. I get my binocs out and can see Knot Enuf tied up and notice that Steve has spotted me and runs to the end of the dock waving me in. As I approach, I can see the boats are end tied up but there is about a 30 foot space just waiting for me. Hurray what luck, I say to myself. I point my bow in and swing my stern around coming in sweetly, as the guys grab my lines. The ladies on the dock compliment me for docking so nicely. All the men, say what a great boat this is. I get a mug of iced tea, my dock chair and join the party. I haven't seen Steve or Carol since the fall, so it is wonderful to catch up with them. After a while all the dock party leaves, so Steve and Carol and I have a fun time, laughing and telling stories.


Knot Enuf with dinghy, Still Knot Enuf, in tow: Skipper, Steve and Galley Queen, Carol depart Martin Slough after we have pupus and dinner. They head home to Kalama. Wow, it is always a delight to see them.